Effective Acne Treatments for Breakouts and Scarring
Look forward to a clearer future at our Birmingham, Alabama Skin Care Center
Are you tired of acne that just doesn’t seem to go away? If so, you are not alone because almost 85% of people have acne at some time in there lives. Although very common, acne can cause social and psychological distress – especially for emotionally vulnerable teens and young adults – and leave behind permanent scars. Fortunately, almost all cases of acne can be controlled with the proven Acne Treatments available at Hedden Plastic Surgery & Spa Greystone.
Our skin care professionals in Birmingham take advantage of FDA-approved breakthroughs to offer special expertise in treating acne. If you or a loved one is suffering from acne, a consultation can help you understand more about your condition and learn about the advanced treatment options for acne that are available.
Acne is caused by buildups of bacteria
Acne occurs when pores in the skin become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. These soft plugs of material provide a perfect environment for p. acnes bacteria – which is naturally present on the skin – to thrive. Increases in bacteria levels cause acne’s red, swollen and inflamed skin.
Nearly all teenagers develop acne because of the hormonal surge that takes place during adolescence. However, acne can affect people of any age. Changes in hormone levels that take place during pregnancy, menstruation and when taking certain medications are known to cause acne flare-ups.
The severity of acne ranges from mild cases of noninflammatory acne to more severe cases of inflammatory acne. Marked by red blemishes, pimples and lumps under the skin, inflammatory acne can be painful, embarrassing and greatly affect your quality of life.
Acne treatment options
A full range of effective Acne and Acne Scarring Treatments are available at the Birmingham, Alabama skin care center of Hedden Plastic Surgery & Spa Greystone. Almost any case of acne can be resolved and acne scarring reduced or eliminated with the right treatment or combination of treatments.
- Prescription Medications – Acne medications target acne by reducing oil production, stimulating skin cell turnover, fighting bacteria and reducing inflammation.
- Laser Treatments – Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) attacks acne by reducing bacteria levels and shrinking the skin’s oil glands. Laser Skin Resurfacing removes skin damaged by acne scarring and allows new skin with fresh collagen to form.
- Surgical Acne Removal – For severe acne that doesn’t respond to medication, a minor surgical procedure called “drainage and extraction” can reduce pain and lessen the risk of a telltale scar.
- Chemical Peels – Chemical peels exfoliate the skin, reducing dead skin cells and excess oil. They also resurface the skin to give it a smoother tone and texture.
- Microdermabrasion – This method of treating acne scars involves a spray of tiny microcrystals that exfoliate the skin while a gentle suction stimulates the dermis to boost collagen production.
- Deep-Cleansing Facials – Deep-cleansing facials at Spa Greystone can reduce the frequency of acne breakouts by cleaning the pores of excess oil and dead skin cells.
- Soft Tissue Fillers – Soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse and collagen smooth the appearance of acne scars by adding skin volume with immediate results for rejuvenating the skin.