Anyone Can be Affected by Varicose Veins
New minimally-invasive EVLT laser emerges as gold standard for treatment
Varicose veins don’t discriminate. They can happen to anyone regardless of gender, size or age. Experts say that varicose veins affect 40% of all women and 25% of all men in the U.S. today. Painful and unsightly, varicose veins can be an indicator of more serious health issues. The good news, though, is that varicose veins can be treated with Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT), a simple and effective procedure that usually takes less than an hour at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery in Birmingham.
Leg Vein Screenings in Birmingham, AL
Please call us at 205-980-1744 today to set up your Leg Vein Screening at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery in Birmingham, AL. During your leg vein evaluation, we will evaluate the condition of your legs and fully answer any questions you have about varicose veins and EVLT Laser Treatment for varicose veins.
What increases your risk for varicose veins?
- Age – As you get older, your veins may weaken and not be able to properly support the flow of blood from the leg back to the heart.
- Lack of exercise or movement – Extended periods of sitting and standing puts more pressure on leg veins.
- Weight – Excess weight causes more pressure in the legs, forcing your veins to work harder.
- Pregnancy – Excess blood in the body and additional weight during pregnancy tend to cause varicose veins. Discomfort usually lessens post-birth, but multiple pregnancies tend to increase the severity.
- Genetics – Your family medical history is the strongest indicator. Chances of developing varicose veins increases greatly when vein disease is present in your family chart.
A technical look at varicose veins
Varicose veins are enlarged and twisted rope-like veins that appear near the surface of the skin. In normally functioning veins, tiny one-way valves open as blood flows toward the heart and close to prevent blood from flowing backward. When these valves malfunction, blood pools in the veins, resulting in a buildup of pressure that weakens their walls and causes them to bulge.
Over time, the increased pressure can cause additional valves to fail. This venous reflux, or venous insufficiency, leads to the development of varicose veins.
The first symptom is usually their appearance. As the disease progresses, the legs begin to feel heavy, tired and achy, and these symptoms worsen with prolonged periods of sitting or standing. Muscle cramping may be accompanied by a burning and throbbing feeling in the lower legs.
EVLT Laser Treatment
Birmingham, AL Varicose Vein Laser
EVLT is FDA-approved and rapidly becoming the gold standard treating varicose veins. After local anesthesia is administered, a thin laser fiber is inserted into the varicose vein, sealing it shut. Normal blood flow to the legs is sustained by healthy veins while the treated vein is absorbed by the body. EVLT is performed as an outpatient procedure at our Alabama Cosmetic Surgery center in Birmingham.
Walking immediately after the EVLT procedure is encouraged. Normal daily activity can be resumed – just avoid rigorous physical activities, such as gym workouts. There may be minor soreness and bruising. If any discomfort exists, over-the-counter, non-aspirin pain relievers can be used as needed.