Annual Statistics for 2021 Reveal Significant Increases
Aesthetic plastic surgery saw a significant surge for face, breast and body procedures in 2021, according to annual statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
Aesthetic body procedures such as tummy tuck, buttock augmentation and liposuction were found to have increased by 63% from the prior year. Breast procedures such as breast augmentation, lift and reduction were up 48% from 2021, while face procedures such as brow lifts and facelifts increased by 54%.
The 2021 Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Statistics revealed some key findings:
- Americans spent over $14.6 billion on aesthetic procedures in 2021.
- The cost of a surgical procedure increased by an average of 6%, and the average cost of a non-surgical procedure increased by 1%.
- Surgical procedures increased by 54%, and non-surgical procedures increased by 44%.
- Women accounted for about 94% of all procedures.
- There were 365,000 breast augmentation procedures performed in 2021, an increase of 44%.
Top Aesthetic Procedures
The annual statistics also identify the top 6 surgical and non-surgical procedures performed by board-certified plastic surgeons in the United States.
Top Surgical Procedures in 2021
- Liposuction – 491,098 procedures
- Breast Augmentation – 364,753
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) – 242,939
- Mastopexy (Breast Lift) – 167,395
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) – 149,668
- Breast Implant Removal/Replacement – 147,684
Top Non-Surgical Procedures in 2021
- Neurotoxins – 3,651,223 procedures
- Dermal Fillers – 1,857,339
- Skin Treatments (Chemical Peels, Hydrofacials, etc.) – 1,390,149
- Hair Removal – 454,954
- Skin Treatment (Combination Lasers) – 431,485
- Skin Tightening – 391,855
Source: American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery